Learn how to make a multi-block color woodcut print with Sean Starwars. This class will introduce you to the wide wide world of color printmaking – in particular the fascinating realm of the multi-block color woodcut! This class will touch on a number of ways to introduce color into your body of printmaking work, but will focus primarily on the process of using multiple woodblocks to make a full-color print. Students will conceptualize, design, cut and print four woodblocks in order to get a full-color woodcut.
Instructor: Sean Starwars
Workshop size: 8-12 artists
(no refunds for participant cancellations; fee may be applied to future workshop)
Course Outline :
Friday, December 9, 6-9 p.m. – Meet and greet; brief introduction to the history of the woodcut; Explanation of woodcut process and safety; begin drawing and cutting image
Saturday, December 10, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Cutting woodblocks all day!! (my favorite part)
Sunday, December 11, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. – Finish cutting and print, print, print!!
Materials needed (anything not listed will be provided)
– Resource material for images
– Pencils, Sharpies, color markers for color planning
– Paper for printing (Suggested paper: Rives BFK or any other paper good for relief printing; four sheets – 22″x30″; ideally bring a mix of papers)
– Cutting tools (Suggested tools: Powergrip brand – available at Woodcraft stores or Amazon)
– 2 pieces of birch plywood to be used front and back
– Inks and modifiers
– Other supplies and equipment needed for printing
About Sean Starwars
Sean Starwars lives in Laurel, Mississippi with his wife and FIVE young children. He has been making color woodcuts for nearly 25 years. He is a member of the legendary Outlaw Printmakers. His prints are in numerous public and private collections. His work can be seen in television, film, books, album covers and bathroom walls. Sean drinks more Mountain Dew than anyone who has ever lived, and he can beat you at Ms. Pacman….